Wednesday 6 April 2011

Every Now and Then

          As many of you have probably experienced, I have what I think of as a highly associative brain. People will say something and it will remind me of a song lyric, movie line, comic strip, etc. This may be partially due to all the various media that is shoved into brain providing me with those associations, but that is beside the point. I have already mentioned one common one I fall prey to in this, the first post of my blag. Another quite common one is that whenever someone uses the phrase "you people", I almost always say out loud (and if I don't I say it in my head) "What do you mean you people?"


          My brain often does this all on it's own with no prompting from me, which can result in things like getting Relax by Frankie Goes to Hollywood stuck in my head when someone mentions/plays Diamonds are a Girl's Best Friend because obviously they are the same thing (and since I can't find a clip of the Vicar of Dibley episode wherein Alice provided me with that wonderful connection, here she is rambling about  I Can't Believe It's Not Butter).


          I'm sure there are many other examples I could give you all that I just can't think of right now, but one that my mind never supplies me with was the inspiration for the post today. Every now and then I use the phrase "every now and then" and although I have no problem with it and can use it without any side effects, it always seems to cause my delightful friends to burst into a rousing rendition of Total Eclipse of the Heart. Because they're dicks.

3 comments:

  1. All night/ all night long is also a bad one for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also "At the end of the day"

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Yesterday": can't hear the word without seeing Rowan Atkinson and Peter McNicol stumbling down a street in LA singing a drunken chorus of the Beatles song...obviously only remember a few of the words and keep coming back to "YESTERDAY..." before losing the lyric again...
    Ah, Bean, the Movie...

    oh look, something shiny...what were we talking about?...

    xxoo
    moe

    ReplyDelete