Sunday 17 April 2011

G is for Geekery

Actually, first of G is for gomennasai, which means "I'm sorry" in Japanese. I only intended to miss one day and to make it up on the Sunday but it kinda got away from me.

Anyway, I thought I would take this post to address the "mildly geeky" tag I have given myself. Since we live in a largely capitalist society, I though I would do this by going on a tour through my geeky material goods, so it's picture time!

Here they are all together one big happy family (with the exception of three I forgot about, but we'll talk about those later.)

My geeky shirts of which there are definitely two missing, my Know Your Mushrooms shirt (in white) and my Donkey Kong shirt (without the smiling male). I included my Rocky Horror shirt because some may argue that my love of musicals is a form of geekyness (although I'm not sure which term is more appropriate for musical theater afficionados: geek or nerd). There is also a modicum of geekiocity in my love of Jhonen Vasquez, or more specifically Invader Zim and even specificallier, Gir. More traditionally geeky are my Transformers, Wolvering, Mushrooms, and Donkey Kong shirts.

Now these aren't exactly geeky in themselves, but they are the tangible representatives of one of my main connections to geekdom, webcomics. There are 58 that I read that update on fixed schedules between 1 and 7 days a week, and 28 that update randomly (some in that folder haven't updated in over a year and I like them too much to delete them, but most update at least once every week or two). One of my favorites, and one which updates every weekday, is Questionable Content, a charming, character driven comic with an occasional extremely foulmouthed yelling bird interlude (the giant stuffy).

I'm not entirely sure how justified I am in my geekiness re: Star Trek, as I'm not sure I have ever actually watched an episode in its entirety, although I have seen the most recent movie, but there is something about Captain James Tiberius Kirk that just draws me to it, and I think I may need to add it to my growing list of ridiculously daunting series to watch this summer. The dancing Riker I picked up at work a while back. He's on a pedestal that lights up and makes the transporter noise, and the necklace I got for Christmas.

The book on the left is an amalgamation of the script, sheet music, and various extras from Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog, which is an online musical that Joss Whedon et al dreampt up during the writers strike in 2008 and is pure geniosity. The other is the first of a series based on the Firefly/Serenity Series which one of my friends blogged about for her F post. I think she sums it up quite nicely, and yes, I am one of those that she converted. This super-mini-collection could also be labeled A Paperback Ode to Nathan Fillion/Joss Whedon. (Oh yeah, speaking of Joss, Buffy is another series I think I probably need to watch this summer.)

And of course,
My Doctor Who swag. All three of these were gifts that I recieved from my fantabulous friends this past Christmas. I would also like to note that the Dalek is motorized and motion sensing so when turned on it roams about until it comes upon something to yell "EXTERMINATE" at, and due to a special mechanism it rarely falls off of tables and the like, but is perfectly capable of pushing other things off, which is why I named it Richard (because it's a Dick).

To conclude this much belated post, I am going to try something out. I'm going to end by putting up a link to a G webcomic, and post a youtube for a G band/song both of which I may or may not write a little something about depending on my mood and which I choose (since as of writing this I'm not entirely sure what I'm going to link). I'm going to try and do this for each subsequent post as well (although obviously not with G) and I might edit my antecedent posts to include them as well.

Comic: Girls With Slingshots. The creator of this is good friends with Jeph Jacques, who writes Questionable Content, and I'm pretty sure that's how I found out about it, and it is similarly a character-driven comic.

I can't remember exactly when I got into Goldfinger, but I'm pretty sure it was because of their 99 Red Balloons cover. They have some pretty funny(some bad language) songs, and I quite like their sound.
I could also have used a Great Big Sea as I they were probably one of my first favorite bands, and I enjoy their music to this day.

So what do you think? Am I a Capitalist Swine for quantifying my geekiness by material possesions? Should I continue posting these links at the end of the post? Is David Tennant the best Doctor, or is he simply the most excellent? Do you like my posts better when they are formatted with a centered alignment or should I align it Chaotic Neutral?

No comments:

Post a Comment